Pleasures and Ponderings

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What I Know at 70

I feel as though by now I'd have no unanswered questions. After all, at 70, we should have our act together. And I do know that writing, and teaching Compassionate Communication, are important to me. What gets in the way is pleasure. I get more enjoyment from doing a google search on almost any topic than I do on marketing--having to keep track of who I called, when to call back, if I left voice mail, and all those details.

I've learned that when I make a commitment to a coach or a friend, I'm likely to follow through. So Monday I promised I'd make at least 20 calls this week to promote my workshops. And I have. This ties into another thing I know: I love to contribute. And I know teaching Compassionate Communication makes a big difference for people. I'm also gratified by how many appreciate my resourcefulness. I love to read about health issues, the Mayan calendar, string theory, travel bargains, books, The Law of Attraction, and at least 76 other topics. And I am as pleased as the listener when I share what I learned. So far, so good. No problem, right? Well, there's the remnant, possibly from an authority-centered Catholic upbringing on an Iowa farm, that prods me to productivity. Now that may've been useful years ago, but I'd like, after seven decades, to do what I want, when I want. And yes, I always love teaching my classes and writing. But it's all those other parts of life that make me feel stuck on the tractor or at the sink. I find myself most days at the computer and on the phone 6-8 hours.

I've tried more organizing systems than Staples sells, it feels like. I'm an Enneagram 7, an adventurer, and my biggest joy is a new experience, or a repeat of a fun one. Even though I try to remember to stretch, or to dance to my favorite song, Mony Mony, every hour or two, I can't quite define much time at my desk as pleasurable. I'm doing shoulds, and yes, I feel good when emails are responded to, and I complete the 6-16 things I've ambitiously entered on my To Do list.

What I do know is that I'm the only one stepping on the compter treadmill each day. And the webinar last night suggested we were doing more for our well being by pursuing what delighted us. Now when I learn and practice that, I may have more to add to what I know at 70.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home